MAX7219 Serially interfaced LED Display Driver
The MAX7219 is a compact, serial input/output common-cathode display drivers that interface microprocessors (µPs) to 7-segment numeric LED displays of up to 8 digits, bar-graph displays, or 64 individual LEDs. Included on-chip are a BCD code-B decoder, multiplex scan circuitry, segment and digit drivers, and an 8x8 static RAM that stores each digit. Only one external resistor is required to set the segment current for all LEDs.
A convenient 4-wire serial interface connects to all common µPs. Individual digits may be addressed and updated without rewriting the entire display. The MAX7219 also allow the user to select code-B decoding or no-decode for each digit.
The devices include a 150µA low-power shutdown mode, analog and digital brightness control, a scan-limit register that allows the user to display from 1 to 8 digits, and a test mode that forces all LEDs on.
- 10MHz Serial Interface
- Individual LED Segment Control
- Decode/No-Decode Digit Selection
- 150µA Low-Power Shutdown (Data Retained)
- Digital and Analog Brightness Control
- Display Blanked on Power-Up
- Drive Common-Cathode LED Display
- Slew-Rate Limited Segment Drivers for Lower EMI (MAX7221)
- SPI, QSPI, MICROWIRE Serial Interface (MAX7221)
- 24-Pin DIP and SO Packages